[AT] DOT Question

James Bray brayherbs at msn.com
Sun Dec 31 17:14:28 PST 2006

Hey, Charlie,

I drive a semi to allow me to keep farming, and I have noticed that there is
quite a difference in enforcement between the officers involved.  If the
arresting officer is a town or county cop, chances are you can reason with
the man or woman wearing the badge.  If it is a state trooper, you will
probably get ticketed, and you will likely have to show all registration,
your personal license, your medical card, your bills of lading, updates of
vehicle inspection if they are in an inquisitive mood, and you might be
invited to take your truck to the nearest scale for a weigh-in.

I got stopped by a state trooper one night because the rear van in a doubles
combo had lost its lights as I passed the guy.  The night was very cold and
the pigtail had pulled out of the socket.  An hour later we had completed
several of the inspections mentioned above.  He hadn't asked me to scale it,
but the rookie cop who was with him was set to right me up for a log
violation because I hadn't entered my last two hours.

The senior cop was all set to watch him do that when I informed the
youngster that the DOT regs  allowed me ten minutes to bring my log up to
date without violation if the book was within twelve hours of being current.
  Rookie looked at his partner who grudgingly nodded that I was right.

Don't mess with troopers in any state.  They tend to be knowledgeable and
tough.