[AT] DOT Question

charlie hill chill8 at suddenlink.net
Wed Dec 27 04:34:48 PST 2006

About 30 years ago I bought a GMC cab over tractor.  One of those aluminum
cabs that was commonly called a "cracker box".  I had been driving for
someone else and this was my first try at "owner operator".

I wrote the guy a check for it, called my insurance agent and told him to
cover it for me and headed for home with no plates.  I got to the local
truck stop where all of us parked our  trucks.  When I walked in the store a
friend of mine said "come on, you've got a load to haul.".  I told him I
couldn't go that I didn't have any license.
He said "you aren't going to turn down your first job are you?"
It was about 6 in the afternoon.  I thought for a second and decided he was
right.  I shouldn't turn down my first job and off I went.

The tractor had belonged to a contractor and he just hadn't been using it.
The plate on the front had been expired for about 3 years.
We went down the road about 20 miles and I hooked to a van loaded with
veneer that belonged to Georgia Pacific.   About 4 hours later I was
following the other guy through the small town of Ahoskie NC.  He cut a
yellow light.  I didn't know where we were going.  The guy was a good guy
but a bit of a practical joker and I knew he wouldn't wait for me so I ran
the red.  The streets were rolled up in that little town and there wasn't a
car in sight except that cop that was hiding behind a bush.

The cop was a young guy.  He ran the plate on the trailer an he kept asking
me who owned the truck.  I kept telling him I did.  He kept telling me the
plate came back to Georgia Pacific Corp.  I kept telling him that was the
trailer plate.  He kept asking me where the tractor plate was.  I told him
on the tractor.  I never told him it was supposed to be on the front of the
tractor.  I never told him the title hadn't been transfered yet.  I just
kept telling him the tractor plate was on the tractor.  He never got out to
look.  He was scratching his head.  I was standing in the street.  He was
sitting in his cruiser with the FM radio turned up so he could hear his
music.  Finally I said.  "Look,  I was following that truck in front of me.
I don't know where to unload without following him and now he's gone and I'm
lost.  That's why I ran the light to begin with.  If you're going to write
me a ticket figure out what you're going to write it for and get it done.
Otherwise let me go so I can get back to work."    Danged if he didn't tell
me to go ahead!

About 20 miles up the road where I needed to turn the other guy was sitting
by the road waiting for me.

Charlie