[Farmall] when is "too far gone"?

olmstead at ridgenet.net olmstead at ridgenet.net
Thu Dec 28 16:27:30 PST 2006

James, the oft-repeated rule is 'Buy the best tractor that you can
afford'.  It will almost always be the least expensive in the long run.  A
$500 H with cracked block, useless tires and bad sheet metal is much more
expensive than a $2500 H that only needs to have a few dents removed and
some paint sprayed on.

Do your homework.  Add up what it is going to cost you to fix it up.  Will
the final result be worth it?  I know fellows who put a year or two and
$3000 into restoring an H, and couldn't sell it for $2000.  All bets are
off, however, if it is really rare tractor, or belonged to your granddad.
Since IHC was the sales leader for many years, most Farmall tractors are
not rare, and may never sell for high prices.

-Karl