[Farmall] O-12 chores

olmstead at ridgenet.net olmstead at ridgenet.net
Thu Dec 28 12:52:15 PST 2006

Hi, Guy.  There are certain 'givens' on every old -12 tractor, and one of
them is that the fuel pump needs rebuilding.  It only takes about an hour
if you get the kit from Rice.  Here's the general list.  Sometimes you get
lucky and can skip one or two things.  But usually not.

"Karl's F-12 Fixit List".

1.  Fuel pump diaphragm torn, check valves stuck
2.  Fuel petcock frozen or leaky
3.  Fan bearing dry as a bone
4.  Fan belt shot
5.  Carburetor gummed up
6.  Little brass tube inside the carb often broken off
7.  Oil filter bracket _always_ deformed
8.  Oil filter gasket dried up and cracked
9.  Sludge trap inside oil filter bracket totally full of black jelly
10. Radiator hoses dried up
11. Hoses on ends of air pipe cracked and letting in dust
12. Rocker arm cover gasket leaking
13. Magneto desperately in need of new grease in the rotor bearings
14. Valve rocker arms need adjustment
15. Oil pan contains at least 1/2" of thick sludge
16. Oil pump pickup screen nearly plugged by sludge
17. Air filter oil cup bone dry or full of water
18. Front engine mounting bracket (cast iron) broken
19. Hand crank gizmo that grabs the pin on the nose of the crankshaft
rounded off so it slips off when you crank the engine
20. No anti-freeze in the cooling system
21. Center rocker arm shaft support bracket broken
22. At least one stuck brake shoe

-Just so you won't be surprised when you start tinkering with your F-12,
Guy.  I rarely see much about dirty work in the newsletters; there's a lot
more about eating food then there is about fixing old tractors!  For that
reason, I don't pay much attention to 'em.

-Karl