[AT] ford 800 vs 600 steering arm / bellhousing clearance

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Thu Dec 21 00:35:43 PST 2006

	Hi Chris:

	I am only familiar with those one-arm loaders from a distance but I don't
think gaining a little clearance would be a problem. Our NAA was pretty much
all original but we had a "TO" Ferguson that had a Sherman "over/std/under"
gearbox installed in its tranny by the dealer. The dealer had bent the right
side steering box arm out and then back down to gain about an inch and a
half of clearance for the shift lever to swing out. The shift pattern was
like a small upside down "h" and under-drive was out and up. I don't know if
they bent it hot or cold but when we restored that tractor maybe around 1970
the unit had been taken out for some years and we bent the arm back into
shape cold using a ridged conduit bender (heavy wall not thin wall) and it
took the bending fine. We were surprised how soft it was.
	I don't think I would worry much about a tractor of that vintage having
that level of oil pressure. As long as there IS always oil pressure that is
usually plenty. My old 40's Chevy truck IIRC had a factory spec of 15 psi.
Like you, I do like all the pressure I can get but that gauge could be off
or maybe the relief valve spring is tired. Of course I'm sure you have
already considered both of those possibilities. It would be interesting to
see it after an oil change with some premium oil. I guess you will have to
buy it to find out...   ;-)

--
"farmer"  -  ***** H A P P Y   H O L I D A Y S *****

If you cut a tree plant at least two to replace it...

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana, USA
robinson at svs.net