[Steam-engine] New Orleans fireless steam streatcar (Recent post)

Robert Smith bobsmith5 at verizon.net
Fri Dec 15 07:57:25 PST 2006

While I am not familiar with this particular application, I'll mention
that there were a number of small yard engines that operated on this
principle.  They were used mostly in industrial yards for switching
freight cars from area-to-area.  IIRC, they were referred to as "tank"
engines because they consisted of nothing but a rather large unfired
pressure vessel (heavily insulated, of course).  Energy was stored in
the form of heat in the water in the tank which, as steam was consumed,
boiled off and lost temperature and pressure (see your saturated steam
tables).

    Best wishes,

    Bob Smith