[AT] Old time cures

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sat Dec 9 11:59:46 PST 2006

charlie hill wrote:
> Ted I don't know about Pinex but we had an ointment here that was called
> Pinee.  Not sure about the spelling but you said it pine  E.
> According to the bottle it was the "unadulterated oil of the pine tree"
> and that's what it was.  Just plain pine oil.  We used it on cuts and
> scrapes. It burned a bit and smelled a lot like PineSol.  I can't find
> it any longer but I did find a bottle of livestock ointment by the same
> folks with the same brand name.  It is about the same except that the
> human version is clear and appears to be distilled down from the dark
> thick livestock version.

Yes, Pinex was available here in Canada too. Terrible tasting stuff as I
recall. Not sure what it is about the curative properties of the pine
tree but I recall pine tar being a cure-all for various livestock and
pet ailments years ago.
 From an old Country Guide magazine ad..........
Dr. Chase Nerve Food to help you get rid of nervous fatigue.
Also available as an ointment for cuts, burns and bruises.

Ralph in Sask.