[AT] Ford 9-n and a Cub

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Aug 23 10:02:37 PDT 2006

An outside company provided the Sherman auxiliary transmissions for the
Ford N tractors. It was located behind the clutch and ahead of the
transmission. The early models were just two speed - normal and low, but
later on they offered a Hi-normal-low version. The only problem is that,
when you reduce the transmission speed, you also reduce the PTO speed.
So using a Sherman with a rotary tiller doesn't buy you anything. But
they are good for running a transplanter or other implements require low
ground speed. For rotary tillers, Howard USA make an auxiliary two speed
rear end for the Ford N (and the Farmall Cub), dropping ground speed by
about 1/3 but maintaining full PTO speed. Both the Howard and Sherman
units were often added to customers' tractors by Ford authorized
dealers, but never offered by Ford Motor Company.

I have a Ford 2N that has both a Sherman and a Howard unit, giving me
the equivalent of a 12 speed Ford N.
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/1946_ford_2n/>

As far as the other tractor, there was no Cub shipped from the factory
with a 35 hp engine, but the IH Cub LoBoy 184 did have large 24" rear
tires and a 20 hp engine.
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/international_184/>

There were a number of later IH tractors with that size tires and more
powerful engines (the 2404 comes to mind), but they were not called "Cub".

Mike

DAVIESW739 at aol.com wrote:
> My neighbor and friend came home yesterday to tell me about two tractors he
> looked at.
> One was supposed to be a Ford 9-N it has two gear shifter for high and low
> range now I was checking and I couldn't find any like this did they make a mod
> to get 6 speeds from these tractors.
>
> The other he said was an IHC Cub well it has 13 X 24 tires a 35 HP engine
> and is bigger than the 9-N I wonder what this one is. I guess i will have to go
> take a look at these two tractors for my self.
>
> Walt Davies
>
> -------------------------------1156348319

> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3DUS-ASCII">
> <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2600.0" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
> <BODY id=3Drole_body style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY:=20=
> Arial"=20
> bottomMargin=3D7 leftMargin=3D7 topMargin=3D7 rightMargin=3D7><FONT id=3Drol=
> e_document=20
> face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>
> <DIV>My neighbor and friend came home yesterday to tell me about two tractor=
> s he=20
> looked at.</DIV>
> <DIV>One was supposed to be a Ford 9-N it has two gear shifter for high and=20=
> low=20
> range now I was checking and I couldn't find any like this did they make a m=
> od=20
> to get 6 speeds from these tractors.</DIV>
> <DIV> </DIV>
> <DIV>The other he said was an IHC Cub well it has 13 X 24 tires a 35 HP engi=
> ne=20
> and is bigger than the 9-N I wonder what this one is. I guess i will have to=
>  go=20
> take a look at these two tractors for my self.</DIV>
> <DIV> </DIV>
> <DIV>Walt Davies</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
<mikesloane at verizon.net>
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious
enemy justice can have. -James Baldwin, writer (1924-1987)