[AJD] GP thoughts and comments, was: Where to find extensive information about the JD GP?

Michael Ostrander antiquejd at fwi.com
Mon Aug 7 16:11:23 PDT 2006

Kreig-
You have some good questions.  Dad is having some internet issues so I will
try to answer your questions.

First, I did not notice your serial number in your posts.  That will help
with what is correct and what is not.

Next, the radiator cap on most 1930's had the wire clip under AD641 which
was D1567R, D1568, & D1569.  In the 1931 parts book, AD86 replaced AD641 and
the serial numbers are not present.

Toolboxes had a hole and most of them were mounted so the hole came out the
front and it did indeed hold the hose of the grease gun.  We have often
wondered if individual assemblers at the plant took the liberty of placing
lids on differently or mounting the hole to the back.  The majority we have
witnessed are to the front though.  I have never had a toolbox with a hole
on top and suggest that it was a farmer modification.  All standards had a
hole in the toolbox.  Widetreads did not have a hole and mounted on the
transmission cover.

The lever to engage and disengage the PTO is C1621 for Standards 218675 and
up, WT's 402040 and up, and all orchards.  Prior to that, it was the 90
degree lever that went right into the transmission case as you described.

The radiator sides are C257R, C1910R & C1911R.  The latter two are left and
right sides for the big bore tractors.  C257R was for small bore tractors
200111 - 223802.  The early style did not have a bolt hole through them to
attach the air cleaner because the early tractors had the air cleaner down
low in the belly pan.  The retrofit kits the dealers installed took the air
cleaner out of the belly pan and raised the opening for air to enter outside
and above the hood.  The 1930 tractors had the hole in the radiator sides
and the pipe to bring air in went through the hood and above it.  Some late
1929 tractors also had that same style.

Power lift was used to raise the mounted implements on the GP's.  Standards
had PTO and Power Lift as options, Widetreads had them as standard
equipment.  We have a 3 row mounted cultivator that will be demonstrated at
the show in a few weeks.  The buck rake also used the lift as well as the
two way mounted plow.

Hope this helps.

Michael Ostrander
Licensed Insurance Consultant
InsureOurFamily
USA Benefits Group
877-821-5519 Office Toll-Free
260-625-3314 Office
260-625-4353 Fax
260-385-5844 Cell
www.InsureOurFamily.com

"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give...",
Winston Churchill