[AJD] GP thoughts and comments, was: Where to find extensive information about the JD GP?

kreig astroguy at nas.com
Mon Aug 7 14:04:06 PDT 2006

In regards to the GP's, I am interested in knowing more simply because I own
one.  A 1930 GP in good running condition, needing a few parts here and
there and not really knowing what parts are needed.  Have been looking at
and comparing GP's at shows and my impression is that no two GP's were EVER
built the same!!!

Seems there are about 4-5 ways to run the spark plug wires, about 10
different configurations for air cleaners and exhaust.

I found an original tool box off a parts tractor and am finding they came in
two versions, one with a large hole at the front and some without. In
pictures i see some holes are empty while in other pics I see there is
something attached.  In conversation this last weekend I was told the hole
was made to accomodate the "dirty" end of the grease gun.  True???  There is
a small hole on the top of the tool box and appears to have no function, no
knob is seen in the parts catalog.

Never could figure out what kind of handle was needed to actuate the PTO.
Some tractors have a non-removable 90 degree handle for the PTO while others
seem to have a missing handle.  This last weekend I found the "correct"
handle on a 1935 model and will make a reprodution for my 1930. This looks
like part number #AC-573-R   Hope this is correct.  I also see in the parts
catalog, number C-2118-R.    There are no part numbers on this handle.
At the show there was a 1930 GP next to mine with the 90 degree handle, go
figure!!!

Also the radiator casting #C-257-R    seems to come in two versions, one
with a bolt hole on the right side to attache the air cleaner and the same
casting and casting number without this mounting hole.  Wondering why I have
the mismatched set of air cleaner/radiator setup. Thinking if it is worth
picking up a replacement radiator casting to make things "correct".

I was surprised to look through the owners/operators manual and there seems
to be no mention how to operate the machine, how to activate the PTO or
anything else, seemed rather strange.  Have never seen a GP with power lift
and not sure what it is designed to do.

Ok, I guess that is enough in one posting.

Kreig McBride