[AT] NH 376

OldIron oldiron at charter.net
Fri Apr 14 14:32:38 PDT 2006

Farmer,
What you are saying is correct but the hay or material on the next
plunger stroke will break the needles. Especially if the hay is a little
tough to bail.

Then the plunger hits the stop dogs. And Bang enough to mess in your
pants and say some special words for the occasion.

Been there and done that. When starting a bailing season make sure they
are working properly. I have seen them stuck down. You won't know it
until it is too late. Another item to check on a bailer. Make sure the
pickup slip clutches are working and not stuck tight engaged. Oh and if
you have a lot of missed bail tying the plunger to knotter time has to
be right.

Myron Busch
Northfield
Minnesota.

    I'm not familiar with the JD balers, can't afford the green paint...
:-)   But our
 old IHC baler has a set of positive stops that raise up when the
needles
start moving and drop back down when the needles have lowered clear of
the bale chamber. As long as that mechanism is working properly there is

no way that the plunger can hit the needles in or out of time. When they

lock the plunger it shears off a small shear pin at the flywheel. Does
the
JD have anything like that? I don't recall my old 62-T Oliver or the old

55-T IHC.

--
"farmer"