[Farmall] Re: Next question..+, - ground

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Thu Apr 13 14:23:54 PDT 2006

If your battery is connected with negative ground, then you are probably
OK as far as the charging system goes. But you should make sure that the
  (-) terminal on the coil is connected to the wire that comes from the
side of the distributor and the (+) side is connected to the wire that
comes from the ignition switch. The tractor will run with reversed coil
polarity, but it will run better, especially under a heavy load, with
proper polarity.

You can reverse the connections at the ammeter to get the correct
reading, but I have a feeling that might be difficult on that tractor
(as it is with almost all IH tractors). As long as the needle swings
hard to the left after starting and then drifts back to a position
slightly to the left of center, everything is working fine. If you have
a voltmeter, you can check the battery voltage when the engine is
running - it should be around 6.75 volts, but almost anything between
6.5 and 7 volt is "good enough" (most mechanical voltage regulators
aren't all that precise). If you do elect to return the tractor to
positive ground, then you will have to polarize the generator.

Mike

Dick Love wrote:
> As I fool around further on my newly acquired SuperC I discover that
> prior owner has set it up as 6v negative ground. When I got it the water
> pump had seized so belts were loosened so pump (and generator) would not
> function. Iinstalled a new pump and in the process disconnected the
> generator leads. Hooked everything back up and fired it up. Forgot to
> polarize generator/regulator. Runs fine (needs some carb adjustment as
> it "hunts" at lower rpms). It looks like the ammeter is indicating  in
> reverse? Should I leave it the way it is and just polarize as neg ground
> or should I disconnect electrics and go back to stock polarity (neg
> ground) and polarize that way? My H20 gauge does not work as
> well..polarity caused?
> Bear with me folks. Like someone else on the list I am in insurance
> business (pretty much desk jockey) and am not by any means a mechanic or
> mechanically inclined. I like tractors as they seem more simple than my
> classic motorcycles. Plus they are much more fun at 5mph than a Vincent
> will ever be.
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dick
> Calabasas, CA

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
<mikesloane at verizon.net>
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of
fighting a foreign enemy. -James Madison, fourth US president (1751-1836)