[AT] OT for those interested in aviation

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Mon Apr 10 10:02:49 PDT 2006

Ron,

You need to log on that site and check it out.  The departure times and
arrival times match up almost exactly with the progress shown on the flight.
The screen updates every  minute if you click refresh.
It's scary.  I looked this morning and they were tracking a 182 going out of
our local airport to Savanah.  It might have been a IFR but I'm not sure of
it.  I don't have a clue how they are getting their data but it's close to
correct.

The flight I was looking at yesterday was being watched by a lot of folks
because of some sports news of considerable local interest.  There were
folks at RDU waiting for the plane we were tracking to touch down.  The
times were very close to right.  The plane we were watching was a Gulfstream
G100.  She was making 484 knts at one point on the way in (tail wind).

I don't doubt that the gov't is very much involved and is tracking IP
addresses of those of us that use the site.  I hope they are.

Charlie