[AT] OT for those interested in aviation

Ronald L. Cook rlcook at pionet.net
Mon Apr 10 12:41:01 PDT 2006

Charlie,
         I am aware of the "tracking".  It has been available by
subscription and downlink from a satellite for years.  Many corporate
flight departments use it.  Cessna started tracking all their big airplanes
they sold many years ago.  It is actually worldwide.  The web site is only
showing domestic flights that are working within the FAA air traffic
control operating under instrument flight rules and are assigned a discrete
transponder code to transmit.  You are not seeing many other civilian
flights nor are you seeing  very many, if any, military flights.  And there
is "sufficient" lag to alleviate Danny's fears.  This is being recorded as
it is happening and you are watching a replay.  It can be replayed at any
time.  This was put into effect long before the Sept 11, 2001 hijackings
which really raises more questions than answers.  I sat before a screen and
watched the hijacked airplanes during part of their flights.  The endings
were edited out on the replay that the public got to see.  I also watched
the dots disappear from the screen as they grounded all of us.  Me
included.  I do agree it is fascinating.  Or should I say, amazing!

Ron