[Ford-ferguson] gov on 48 8n

Howard Fleming hfleming at moosebird.net
Mon Sep 12 11:08:03 PDT 2005

I "goosed" the throttle manually, the governor smoothly attempted to
move the throttle position back to where it was.

I have adjusted the idle screw, the problem is the governor/linkage
will not let it close that far.  I can manuall close the throttle and
it will idle much slower, the returns to the originial speed once I
remove my hand.  Bending the rod would also fix the problem, but if the
governor has some problems, I would rather fix it now rather than later
(after it has failed)......

I probably will remove the governor soon and check it over.  I am
pretty sure the governor on the tractor is not original to it (has the
output to run a proofmeter on it).  I just forgot that while it
probably has been replaced, it has been sometime in the last 50
years....... <grin>.

On a related note, anyone have a later model dash for a 8N with
proofmeter mount that will work on this tractor they would like to
sell?  I would like to add one to the tractor sometime in the next year
or so.  From looking at the parts manual it looks like it is the only
major (dash) difference between this tractor and the  later model 8Ns.
Want to keep the original dash, in case I every want to restore the
tractor in the future (working tractor at the moment).  Would be nice
to track engine hours, and rpm's.

Thanks,
Howard