[AT] 50% OT: Corn furnaces

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Mon Sep 12 14:58:40 PDT 2005

This is 1/2 on, 1/2 OT due to the fact it involves a farm product.

For a couple of years I have been considering a corn furnace.  Stopped at a
local deal today and looked at a corn-fired boiler which would tie-in with
our present boiler.  Basically a nice looking unit but the price scares me
at $4700, not installed.  However, all of the ourdoor wood furnaces I have
looked at run in the range of $4500, not installed.  Did the calculations,
and at today's prices it would save me 2/3 of my heating bill, or
$1000.  At today's prices, oil would cost us $1500, assuming we used the
same as last year.  However, I am sometimes afraid to try new technology,
being afraid it will not function as advertised.  Longevity of furnace,
etc.  Due to the way our house is constructed, it does not lend itself well
to a free-standing unit in the living quarters.  Any insight on this
subject would be appreciated, either on-list, or through private e-mail if
people consider this too far off topic.

Greg Hass

PS our local elevator price for corn is $1.67 and unfortunately I still
have half of last year's crop.