[AT] Re: two threads with one post

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sun Sep 11 19:50:33 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: <Edchainsaw at aol.com>
To: <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2005 7:11 PM
Subject: [AT] Re: two threads with one post

> we tried to raise  Canola hear  for  2 yrs...   we  were promised it would
> raise 80bu/ acre and  be priced higher than  wheat.    non of that came to
> pass
> and then the elevator  that was in on the deal  decided  they  didn't want
> handle it  anymore.....  so   no one raises it anymore around...    I do
> remmeber having to use our wagons to haul it since the  stuff would  come
> out from
> under the sides in the truck like water  LOL.

I would say that 80 bushel canola is possible in an ideal growing season
with maximum inputs and all other things perfect.
In the real world I think half of that figure is more realistic. When they
first started growing canola here (when it was still called rapeseed) in the
sixties I used to hear of people aiming for the magic number of 30 bushels
per acre. That was considered to be a very good crop. Speaking personally I
still consider 30 a very good yield for canola although I hear some growers
talk of 40 bushels per acre.
And yes it does leak somewhat more than coarse grains will but still not
nearly as bad as flax. The flat slippery flax seeds will practically flow
like water. Everything on the combine has to be well sealed as well as the
bins. Even the good steel bins we have now are still subject to leaks at the
door. I still keep a roll of duct tape in the tool box.

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/