[AT] Gasoline $ another view

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Thu Sep 1 18:35:37 PDT 2005

On Thursday 01 September 2005 08:10 pm, LeRoy Price III wrote:

> I have a 45 mile commute one way from PA to NJ.  I personally couldn't
> afford to move to NJ just to have a shorter commute.  Houses are just to
> expensive and taxes to high.  Its a choice that I had to make to afford
> something decent.
>
> With that said, I wonder why the governement gave up on trying to get
> employers to require telecommuting?  Personally, I don't need to be at work
> to do my job.  I have support what I have from my home however I'm not
> allowed to telecommute for anything more then 2 days a month.  Basically,
> the problem is the emploers don't trust peolple and want them there.  Of
> course sometimes you have to be there for meetings and such but
> telecommuting could get people off the road.  We can off shore things
> without any issue but not let an employee telecommute, give me a break.

Good question.   I've love to telecommute, but the CEO wants to see the back
of my head from time to time...    He doesn't see the two guys in our Iowa
office, but he needs to see me.   I don't get it.

> Second, poor public transportation.  If I could grab a train to get to work
> I'd do it but there is nothing here or very little.  Where are the policies
> to provide better public transportation like Europe?

I could, if I was willing to put up with a 3 hour one way commute.    1.5
hours is too long already.   (55 miles for me, but I have to cross downtown.
I work in a suburb on the opposite side as the one I live in)

> Of course I do drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee at 17 mpg and probably the wrong
> choice.  But we do need more hybrids and I'll probably buy one next time
> around, this ain't going to get any better.  Wonder what Dodge and Chysler
> are going to do with all of those Hemi's?

Back when gas was $1.34/gallon I did the math and concluded that the savings
in gas would pay for a $800 Geo Metro in less than a year (including
insurance and extra maintance).  My truck gets 23mpg, and gas has gone way
up.   You should do the math yourself, I find it hard to believe that you
can't justify a tiny car for just commuting.   Save the jeep for pulling the
tractor.

A car pool would be a good option too.