[AT] No smoking please

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Sun Sep 18 20:39:50 PDT 2005

	I had my AC-C at the museum show running the buzz saw and I was having some problems
with scale in the gas tank. Some years ago it got a good bit of water in the tank. I'm
not quite sure how since it was parked outside for years without any problems and has
never gotten any water in it since. I suspected a bit of foul-play. When it had the water
in it the inside of the tank developed a lot of rust and scale. I had been intending to
pull the tank and shake it out but but always hate to take a painted tractor apart since
it always chips up paint. That has just given me an excuse to procrastinate and I have
become increasingly good at that. I have a small piece of rubber tubing in the tractor
tool box and if some scale blocked the outlet I would take the sediment bowl off and hold
the tube up against the outlet and blow it clear. Today,since I was at a show, of course
it decided to really do a first rate job of clogging and wouldn't blow clear. I decided
to pull the complete sediment bowl assembly and clean it out a bit. The problem was that
I didn't have a container big enough to hold all of the fuel in the tank. After careful
deliberation I said to hell with it and removed the fuel line and unscrewed the assembly
from the tank (looking for nearby smokers first). I held a 1 gallon ice cream bucket
under the thing as I took it out and I was actually able to remove it and get it screwed
back in losing only about one half pint of gas (maybe $60 worth).   ;-)   My ice cream
bucket ended up with about 2 tablespoons of scale in it and about 3 quarts of gas. I sat
it aside for a few minutes to settle out and then strained most of it back through a
cloth and a funnel into my gas can. The tractor is now running trouble free. I will
probably pull the thing again when I get it home but I will have a container large enough
to hold everything. Then I can take time to flush it out better. There does not appear to
be a stand pipe in this tank but I may put one in it while I have it apart.
	There were not a lot of "special" tractors at this show, mostly the regular tractors
used here in the midwest for general farming. One I found interesting was a Massey Harris
50 which looked like a Massey Ferguson 50 but with the MH decals and the chassis all
painted gold. I don't recall those being sold here. It was a very nice restoration and
watching him drive it , seemed very tight and responsive like a new tractor.
	Another I found interesting was a Ferguson TO-20. It was not really a restoration but
had been painted. I noticed that it was a little off color from a distance but that's OK,
I'm not the correct police. What was unusual was that when closer it was very textured
and grainy. Not just orange peel but more like it was intentional. Maybe some kind of
industrial coating??? It was not like poly bed liner.
	I could sympathize with several guys that had nice paint jobs which were partly ruined
by modern gasoline. One in particular was a very nice Oliver 770 that had a sharp paint
job but had a 2' circle of blistering paint where gas had leaked from the carb and ran
down. I saw several others with blistered areas. It kind of makes you appreciate those
old Farmalls with the little tin shield under the carb.

--
"farmer", Esquire
At Hewick Midwest

Paternal Robinson's here by way of Norway (Clan Gunn), Scottish Highlands,
Cleasby Yorkshire England, Virginia, Kentucky then Indiana. In America 100
years
before the revolution.

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA