[AT] Cracked diesel block opinion question

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Wed Nov 30 20:26:45 PST 2005

Carl
I've had experience with two Perkins diesels and found them to be good
engines. Had a Massey 550 combine with the 354 six cylinder which was very
smooth, quiet and easy on fuel. It was the best part of the combine. The
other is the little 270 cubic inch 4 cylinder on my Massey Super 90 tractor.
The tractor was already 30 years old when it came to this farm and had who
knows how many thousand hours on it (a lot I would guess by the appearance).
Again its a very good running economical, easy starting engine. About the
only complaint I have is the engine is quite leaky and hard to keep clean.
I've heard some say that this particular line of engines had problems with
head gasket leaks but I don't think this one does. Mostly diesel fuel from
the fuel system and lines. Not a big problem, just a mess to keep clean.
There was one other Perkins, not sure of the size but it was in a late
Cockshutt 40 that I bought for parts. The block was frozen up and cracked on
the side. The engine was also seized so I ended up selling the Perkins for
parts and bought a running Buda six diesel to replace it with.

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/