[Farmall] 1925 M/D 10-20

Karl Olmstead olmstead at ridgenet.net
Tue Nov 8 15:55:08 PST 2005

James, I wouldn't worry too much about a few hunks of rust that fell into
the cylinder.  They'll go out the exhaust if/when the engine starts.  Or if
you have an air nozzle available, you can probably blow them out now by
directing a blast of air into the sparkplug hole.  Keep your face out of the
way when trying this.  As a general rule, I like to blow away any stuff
around the plugs before I remove them; around here, it is likely to be sand.
Just for your future info.  Take a look at the plug tips before you throw
them away; they tell you a lot about the condition in that cylinder.

While you're tinkering, pull the oil cup off the bottom of the air filter.
It needs to be cleaned out and refilled with clean oil.  If it has rusted
out, it can be patched with JB Weld.  This cup is often full of rust, so it
needs to be cleaned before you start turning over the engine.  I realize
that isn't a problem yet, since the engine is stuck.

A 1925 10-20 probably has the 'fine thread' gas caps, which were
problematic.  I'd douse it with some oil or penetrating oil and let it sit;
there's no rush getting it freed up.  You can run the engine from the one
gallon gasoline tank if you get to that stage before the main tank cap frees
up.  Rushing things is what bends and breaks parts.  Take your time!

-Karl