[Farmall] 1925 M/D 10-20

Karl Olmstead olmstead at ridgenet.net
Tue Nov 8 07:07:50 PST 2005

James, the plugs require a 15/16 wrench".  Wouldn't hurt to spray a
penetrating oil around the bases, but probably won't be necessary.  You
won't break them off; at worst you might round off the wrench flats if
they're really stuck tight.  You probably don't even need a socket; a box
end wrench will work.  The spark plug holes are so big that it is easy to
shine a flashlight inside and (in the dark) see what the interior of the
cylinder looks like.

There might be some rust in the exhaust, but unless you find one or two
cylinders full of water, it is unlikely that any major amount of stuff has
built up in the exhaust manifold.  Generally not a problem.  I usually dump
some diesel fuel mixed with automatic transmission fluid down the exhaust
manifold also; it helps break loose any sticky valves.

When you get to the stage where you are attempting to turn over the engine,
remove the rocker arm cover and tap on the valves to make sure that they
aren't stuck.  If you succeed in turning the engine and a valve happens to
be stuck, you'll bend the pushrod or break the rocker arm.

Clutches are usually not stuck badly; the rear main seal is just a hunk of
felt, so some oil tends to seep past and ooze out onto the clutch,
preventing serious rust.  The exception to this rule is if a mouse has made
a nest in the clutch housing.  If that happens, the clutch will be a rusted
mess.

Operating and service manuals and parts catalogs for a 10-20 are available
from www.binderbooks.com .

You can't post pictures on this bulletin board, but you can offer to email
them to interested parties.  Count me in...

olmstead at ridgenet.net

Or you can put them up on a web page somewhere and tell us where they are.
They'll need to be reduced in size (cropped and shrunk to something like
640x480 pixels) so that guys like me with slow dial-up connections can stand
to download the pictures.  Thanks for taking the time to show them to us!

-Karl (in Ridgecrest, CA, middle of Mojave Desert)