[AT] Case 580

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Wed May 18 10:26:13 PDT 2005

On 18 May 2005 at 8:47, George Willer wrote:

> I have bad memories of the ring and pinion going out in my 530CK many years
> ago.  (about 1970) I think the rear ends were the same as the later 580.  I
> bought it reconditioned from a dealer who had rebuilt the rear end.  That
> was unfortunate!  The dimbulb mechanic who didn't know what the shims were
> even for had put them ALL on one side.
>
> The axle wouldn't even turn so I walked it with the hoe to where I had
> shelter from the wind and repaired it myself in zero weather.  I'm not at
> all confident with a dealer's mechanics... a lesson I learned the expensive
> way.
>
> George Willer

	I was in a nearby MF dealer's shop some years ago and was talking the "guy in charge"
about our MF 165. While we talked he was assembling a big truck rear end (They were also
a truck dealer). I couldn't help but notice that he was pounding a large tapered roller
bearing assembly into place with a huge ball-peen hammer by raising the hammer over his
head and striking with all his might directly on the shoulder of the inner race. No wood
block, no brass drift, no gentle taps, just hard steel against hard steel... shudder...

--
"farmer", Esquire
At Hewick Midwest

Paternal Robinson's here by way of Norway (Clan Gunn), Scottish Highlands,
Cleasby Yorkshire England, Virginia, Kentucky then Indiana. In America 100
years
before the revolution.

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA