[AT] OT, MTD log splitter hydraulic cylinder repair?

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Thu May 12 07:05:30 PDT 2005

That looks like a ring retained end cap.  Look for a hole or notch with
a wire in the bottom. You would pull the end of the wire out of the hole
and rotate the cap while pulling it out. Then it comes apart. It could
also be retained by a step inside the bore. In that event the other end
of the cylinder comes apart and you pull the piston/rod and end cap out
that end. That isn't all that common so it probably is ring retained.

Do you have a service manual for it? if not find the model number and
serial number and go to
http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/public/list.jsp
and enter it. some of the books are online and free while others you
have to call and order. Prices run from 3.00 - 35.00 depending on what
the book is.

Steve Williams