[AT] OT, MTD log splitter hydraulic cylinder repair?

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Sun May 8 11:39:46 PDT 2005

MTD is just like everybody else when it comes to what they list as
repairable items.  They know that not all their warranty locations can
handle rebuilding a hydraulic cylinder, so the whole cylinder is listed
as an item rather than the components.  That doesn't mean that it's not
rebuildable, just that that's not how the company is going to handle the
repair.  Depending on the problem, I have known the company to scrap an
entire product rather than spend the shop time to have fairly simple R&R
completed.  On log splitters in particular, MTD has had some problems
with filings in the hydraulics getting through the system and ruining
the pump.  But the charge back on the labor to flush the system and
replace the damaged pump is more than the manufacturing cost of the
product.  When you also take into consideration that problems may also
be in the cylinder and the control valve, it is simply prudent to scrap
the whole thing and replace it with a new product.

The things that can happen to a new product in the hands of its owner
are unbelievable.  A memorable incident involved a pressure washer.  The
owner either purposely or inadvertently turned the high-pressure stream
onto the engine of his brand new washer after he had finished using it
on his car.  It turned the washer engine into a "boat anchor" in just a
couple of seconds.

Larry