[AT] Nuts n Bolts, bolts mostly...

CEE VILL cvee60 at hotmail.com
Sun May 8 05:37:56 PDT 2005

Just some BOLT thoughts!!!  (Notice I do not use the word NUT in this text)

The major diameter of the thread is usually a few thousandths smaller than
the bolt shoulder, Matthew.  If alignment of the thicknesses being fastened
is of consequence, the shoulder is necessary to do that job.  If side
stresses are involved in use, the thread, being an interupted surface will
flatted down quickly.  Bolts for certain specific applications are threaded
the full length, as with carriage bolts.  I do not think they are intended
for heavy load applications.

If a hardened temper bolt in not necessary, some guys do cut a threaded rod
to needed length and tack weld a nut on for the head, or double nuts jammed
together.  I guess it is usually depends on what is needed for the
application.

With fasteners being as devirsified as they are today, I'll bet that even a
huge bolt inventory gets stymied once in a while.

Charlie V in WNY