Was [AT] Skid steer; NOW -My skid steer

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Mon May 2 13:39:17 PDT 2005

	Seeing the other inquiry on skid steers gave me the nerve to ask a
question about mine.  I have a New Holland Model L-325 which I purchased
new in 1979.  It is equipped with a Kohler model K582S engine rated 23
HP.  This engine has been a pain in the backside since the day it was
new.  At only 75 hours of use the points went out and heated the whole
engine red-hot, boiling most of the oil out.  The dealer replaced the
points because at that time I didn't know anything about this engine.   In
its entire life we have never gotten more than 100 hours to a set of
points, despite having changed condenser, coil, plugs, etc.  We have talked
to several Kohler dealers.  No one seems to know how to fix it and I have
been told that there is no electronic ignition available for this engine.
At any given time, I have at BEST a 50% chance of starting, no matter the
ambient temperature.
	The last couple of years I have toying with the idea of re-powering
it.  The closest to this engine seems to be a Honda GX670BDW. It is rated
24 HP and 3600 RPM.  The most serious modification to that engine would be
a complete redoing of the exhaust system, according to the
dealer.  However, last night while reading the operator's manual for the
skid steer, I discovered that the Kohler engine now in it turns at 3200
RPM.  So... I have a few concerns.

	1. Would the extra speed hurt the hydraulic pumps, hydrostatic, etc?
	2. Would the Honda engine have adequate power seeing as it would be best
to run it at less than full RPM?
	3. I worry about power as the displacement is less on the Honda than on
the Kohler.  One factor may be the higher speed.
	    Another may be that the Honda is an OHV, compared to the flat-valve
design of the Kohler.

The conversion would cost approx. $1500, which makes me wonder if I should
look into it, or try and put up with the existing engine, which is showing
a considerable amount of wear.  I have already put one short block in it in
its life, however the short block would not take care of problems like worn
hole for the point-setting plunger, stripped threads on the oil-fill tube, etc.
	It seems one cannot wear these engines out... they blow up first.  The
first block broke a rod and put 5 holes in block.  My brother had an
identical loader bought used, which not only ruined the block when a rod
broke, but also split the flywheel.  A year later, a new short block broke
another rod.  It, however, was fixable as it broke at the crank and did not
damage the block.  THe owner previous to my brother used it heavily in a
dairy and replaced the block 4 times due to broken rods.
	Advice and opinions welcome.

Greg Hass