[AT] D17 Power Director Drops out of High Range

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Sun May 1 15:12:44 PDT 2005

Will-
I don't think that what gear you are in is effecting how often the power
director pops out of high range.  Having said that, I do think that the
speed of the tractor and bumps might  make a difference. The Power Director
relies on an "over center" mechanism to lock things in either high or low
range.  If your clutch packs are significantly worn, the tension in the
mechanism from going "over center" is not very high - you probably can
notice a significant difference from a new or properly adjusted one compared
to yours.  I would estimate that it takes about 40 pounds of force to lock
"the big stick" in either range when properly adjusted.  If this locking
force is not very high, a good jar over a bump can produce enough force to
disengage the clutch pack.  On my first D-14 the wear was mostly on the low
range pack, your habits or the habits of the previous owner may have led to
more wear on the high range pack.
It is not too hard to make the adjustments to the clutch packs if wear is
the problem.  The shims and gasket are still available, there are special
shims that are used and you have to remove one type and replace them with
the other type to keep the overall thickness of the shims the same.  It is
also a good time to replace the o-rings on the big stick's shaft and clean
up one source of oil leaks on the tractor at the same time.  It takes a
little patience to measure the clutch wear and a small internal micrometer.
If you need the procedure I can send it to you and tell you the required
range of micrometer to do the job.  It is quite small if I remember
correctly.
Carl Gogol
Manlius, NY
(2) AC D-14, AC 914H