[Farmall] lets talk Farmalls

Arthur Umland artsd at aol.com
Thu Mar 31 08:11:41 PST 2005

    Thanks to all ( Greg, Larry, Jim, Mike, Stan) who have contributed to
this discussion. I now know that I am not as well prepared to pick out
a utility tractor as I had thought. Much of my decision to pursue a
Farmall 240 or I240U was based on what I had read, not on what I had
seen or heard from others. So, before I drive three hours one way this
Saturday to an auction at Redwood Falls, MN, I had best call and see if
I can get some additional information on the I240U tractors they have
announced for sale.

    My real needs for a tractor are minimal as I live on about 3 acres
here in southeast SD while the real farmland is in southeast NE where
my brothers live and farm. So, I basically want a smaller tractor that
has LPTO, 3-pt hitch and live hydraulics that is not too large. Given
that one of my primary uses is for mowing, it appears I could get by
without the LPTO (which I do now with the 1951 Super C). Another
primary concern is a smaller tractor that I can readily haul to an
occasional tractor show.

    In the long run, price, condition, and availability will all play a
part in the decision. Thanks for giving me a lot more to think about
and increasing my understanding of the available options

      Regards,
                           Art