[AT] Question

Brad Gunnells brad-gunnells at uiowa.edu
Mon Mar 28 07:47:57 PST 2005

This doesn't answer your question...but follows what Dan(?) said.

I always had intentions of getting a 3 point unit for putting in fence
to raise some cattle (still need to do that). When I built my pole barn
I rented a hydraulic powered hand unit. I did 1 3/4 holes  in about an
hour and was spent. I have tree roots to contend with in some places. I
took it back and rented a skid loader with a hydraulic unit much like
the one described below. I finished the remaining 20 some poles in
about an hour.

The ability to reverse the auger is a big plus in addition to the down
pressure. I'd never use anything but another hydraulic unit on a skid
loader or equivalent unless I only had a couple, then I'd do them by
hand. I've hear horror stories about getting a stuck bit out of the
ground with 3 point types.

My point mimics what's mentioned below, such a unit would be time
consuming to take on and off and the results may or may not be what you
hope for. There are other options that may be more feasible depending
on the conditions and number you plan to do.

Brad