[AT] Pitchforks - new vs. old.

George Willer gwill at toast.net
Fri Mar 25 12:54:59 PST 2005

Subject: RE: [AT] Pitchforks - new vs. old.

>I just went through the "handle problem" a couple of weeks ago, Farmer.
> I was only looking for a hammer handle to replace the one that broke on
> my favorite cross peen machinist's hammer, but I couldn't find any
> carried by the local retailers.  I complained about the situation with
> my cousins out in Colorado, and they kind of blinked in disbelief.  Ace
> Hardware stores west of the Mississippi (or at least in the high plains)
> carry a full range of replacement handles for everything under the sun.
> Not only was I able to buy a handle out in Wray, Colorado, but it was
> sized specifically for the hammer that I was working with.  But you're
> right -- the price was more than the cost of a new hammer, if you want
> to call the stuff that's currently available a "hammer."  The new stuff
> sure doesn't have the quality of the old True Temper brand from several
> decades ago.
>
> Larry

Larry,

You reminded me of an overdue project for when I can get back to the shop.
The box of handles is getting low.  It's time to make another batch.  With
the duplicator on the wood lathe it's relatively easy (although not
profitable) to make nice handles in strange woods.  I like walnut... they
become nicer looking with use.  I make them in a wide variety of lengths and
sizes so I can usually pick one that is suitable.

Most "hammers" today are better referred to as "beatin' irons".  :-)

True Temper certainly set a high standard.  As far as I know, there hasn't
been any other shovel, for example, any where near the quality of their
forged ones.  Any other just seems like stamped sheet metal and makes more
work of the job... even worse than the cheap pitchforks do.

George Willer