[AT] Pitchforks - new vs. old.

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Fri Mar 25 12:08:14 PST 2005

I just went through the "handle problem" a couple of weeks ago, Farmer.
I was only looking for a hammer handle to replace the one that broke on
my favorite cross peen machinist's hammer, but I couldn't find any
carried by the local retailers.  I complained about the situation with
my cousins out in Colorado, and they kind of blinked in disbelief.  Ace
Hardware stores west of the Mississippi (or at least in the high plains)
carry a full range of replacement handles for everything under the sun.
Not only was I able to buy a handle out in Wray, Colorado, but it was
sized specifically for the hammer that I was working with.  But you're
right -- the price was more than the cost of a new hammer, if you want
to call the stuff that's currently available a "hammer."  The new stuff
sure doesn't have the quality of the old True Temper brand from several
decades ago.

Larry