[AT] Left or right combines?

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Fri Mar 18 13:57:04 PST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: Gene Waugh <gwaugh at wowway.com>
To: 'Antique tractor email discussion group' <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2005 2:29 PM
Subject: RE: [AT] Left or right combines?

> Everything is relative, isn't it Ralph---you speak of the "little six foot
> table"---yet the Oliver that my grandfather replaced was 5'---and I only
> kid,  because this was about the time (early 50's) that he (grandfather)
> went from one row to two row cornpicker.
Very true Gene. Of course my Dad grew up in the days of threshing crews and
stationary machines doing the harvest. When he got the little Case 6 foot in
the late 40s he became relatively independent. Able to harvest grain in a
one man operation. Occasionally it meant walking some distance to get the
old Ford grain truck. When he bought a used Massey 60 with the 12 foot table
in 1965 it seemed huge. Then he needed a 12 foot pull type Massey swather.
Nowadays I harvest with a 22 foot table on the combine or else swath with a
21 foot pull type. Small by today's standards too when the big farmers are
mostly cutting 30 feet and looking across the fence at this outdated little
22 foot combine. Like you said Gene, all relative.

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/