[AT] trimming the fleet and not being able to go to site

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Fri Mar 4 05:32:55 PST 2005

Farmer,

I agree with you on this.   In fact, there used to be a disclaimer on the MS
update site.   There was a utility you could run that allowed them to
identify what software you had on your system and what updates you needed.
The disclaimer specifically stated that they would not capture the data and
were not looking to see if you had use rights for the software you had
installed.

It wasn't worded exactly like that but that was basically what it said.
I looked yesterday to see if I could find that disclaimer but I'm already
signed up for automatic updates so if it is still there I couldn't see it.

I understand why folks don't like Gates and MS but I think they have much
bigger problems than trying to catch some individual with an unlicensed copy
of Word or something.  That is not to say they wouldn't protect their
copyright if you rubbed it in their face.

Charlie