[AT] Tractor hauling

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Fri Jun 10 06:28:29 PDT 2005

I can well relate to John's comments relative to unloading equipment. We
used to receive new tractors, TLBs, skid steer loaders, agricultural
equipment, and 20 ton trailers at the dealership, and it usually fell to
me to figure out how to unload it. And the manufacturer used any
contract trucker they could find - from lowboys to 53' vans. Tractors
and TLBs were the easiest - I would use an old Ford 7000 rollback truck,
back up to the trailer, match the deck heights, set the stabilizers,
cross my fingers, and drive from the trailer to the rollback, then pull
back and drop the deck. I never lost a tractor, but I heard stories
about others who others did. The big Eager Beaver construction trailers
came in stacked one top of each other, sometimes 4 or 5 high. We would
place a rough terrain fork lift on one side and a TLB on the other, lift
the top trailer just enough to clear the one underneath, and have the
driver pull his rig out from under, then v-e-r-y carefully lower it
down. We were lucky there too, but the whole operation was hairy at
best. The worst was square balers - they would come in unassembled and
up on end, very top heavy, with the skids spiked to the trailer deck.
Getting them off was a real challenge, and my boss would suddenly find a
need to conduct urgent business on the other side of town as soon as he
saw the truck arrive and leave me to struggle with the top heavy mess. I
always assumed that I was alone out in back with the unloading, but one
time I looked back towards the shop and saw windows full of faces - I
guess they were curious to see if I would manage to wreck something, but
never offer to help. :-)

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

Heresy is only another word for freedom of thought. -Graham Greene,
novelist and journalist (1904-1991)