[AT] Tractor hauling

Cecil Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Fri Jun 10 08:32:23 PDT 2005

> I can well relate to John's comments relative to unloading equipment.

We used to receive new tractors, TLBs, skid steer loaders, agricultural

equipment, and 20 ton trailers at the dealership,

	I could be wrong but I think what John was referring to was a
truckers concern about hauling for individuals and a lack of
coordination in both loading and unloading. Hauling commercial loads
is a different thing with normal business hours and normal delays
possible on both ends. It is different if an individual wants a tractor
or machine hauled some distance and hires a trucker. A lot of the time
the tractor or machine isn't really running, there is no loading dock
anywhere, and there is no help to get the thing loaded. The search
begins when the trucker gets there and they expect him to sit there and
wait while they find help and a way to get it loaded. Same thing happens
on the delivery end. They don't expect to pay extra for this but time is
money and there should be a charge or some other consideration given the
the trucker. I have hauled things for others a good distance from home
and can tell you that a person gets leery of this quickly. The phone
numbers you are given to call are not answered, or they "had to go
somewhere" and left no word when they would be back. In the case of
picking up a tractor one time, I was told where to go and given a good
description of the buildings and yet no one there had any idea who the
person was I was told to contact. As a customer taking delivery of a
new trailer that comes stacked on top of other trailers on a flatbed
truck is one thing. Asking a trucker to stack something to be hauled on
top of someone else's load is something else. No one is going to do it
or would have a way to do any stacking. John knows how this goes and
is giving good advice when he says you have to be ready at both ends.
Anyone hiring a trucker to haul for him should take John's advice and
do his best to see that help is there on time and both the loading and
unloading go smoothly.

Cecil