[AT] Solvent/machines

Rob Wilson rowilson at infinet.com
Mon Jun 27 17:59:04 PDT 2005

Charlie,
Luckily we didn't have but one shift. The shop I worked
at had 12 multi spindle machines from 1" to 2-1/2". The
worst job I ever ran was on an old Acme 4 spindle with
1-1/2" square stock and no tube silencers. For months
I ran that job and thought it would never end. The owner
didn't think they were worth buying. My foreman got mad
when I wouldn't run it until he got me some earplugs.
He couldn't here a stick of dynamite blowing off in his
ear so he figured everyone else was the same. One
of the best was making casket caps. It was an easy job
to set up and ran quiet and ran for weeks on end. nice
1" round stock on the "clean" end of the line :) I quit
just as they were getting a new Mazak CNC and it was
going to mine. I don't regret it a bit just miss the
shop to use when I needed it.
Rob