[AT] Solvent

kgw gwaugh at wowway.com
Tue Jun 21 21:51:19 PDT 2005

I realize that everything that Walt says is absolutely true (well, it
can be backed up by government resarch, etc), but I do have to ask
myself just how much harm a slight amount of contact might make.

Going back to the early 60's, I spent about 20 years working with many
industrial printing solvents, including a LOT of touol/toluene.  It was
the best thing we had for many uses because it was a relatively slow
solvent.  Some of our other major solvents were Methyl Ethyl Ketone
(MEK), ethyl acetate, and various alcohols.  Today, the toluol/toluene
and MEK are rarely seen.

Anyway, for those 20 years, I was physically in toluol to some degree
virtually every working day.  I have gotten high on spills, I have used
hundreds-thousands of gallons in a common mop bucket in an effort to
keep the machine area floor clear of inks, adhesives, etc.

Though I have (so far, knock on wood) no indications of any cancers, I
have had to deal with some depression etc that I wonder if might not be
at least partially due to these solvents.  But my contact was so
great---hell, I have on numerous occasions used toluol to fill a Zippo
lighter and used the lighter as intended.

Point being here.  No, I don't condone that we go out and LOOK for
trouble, but is such infrequent contact REALLY a problem, or do we spend
much of our time tilting at windmills?

--
Gene

Gene Waugh