[AT] Solvent

David Myers walking_tractor at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 21 19:42:05 PDT 2005

--- Andy Glines <andyglines at hotmail.com> wrote:

  I recommend degreasing with
> lacquer thinner or other degreasing agent to remove
> any oil traces before
> painting.  Cleaning with Kerosene or diesel leaves
> you with a still oily
> part.

Andy, mineral spirits are my second choice (though
what I use at home due to cost) with stoddard being
the first.  I like using xylene (xylol) or toluene
(toluol) for wiping parts down prior to painting.
Lacquer thinner contains to much acetone and flashes
off to fast to suit me, xylene is slower and allows me
to wash and then wipe the part before it drys off.  Be
sure to keep your cloths clean, especially the wiping
one.  No sense in just spreading the oils around.
Just my preference.

Dave