[AT] Solvent

Andy Glines andyglines at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 20 10:38:24 PDT 2005

While lacquer thinner will do a very good job of cleaning your parts it
falls well short on your other requirements.  It is very volitale, very
flamable, very stinky, and very irritating to your skin.  Like others I am
happy with mineral spirits.  If you will be using it for prolonges periods
of cleaning you may want rubber gloves.  I start to get some skin irritation
after an hour or so.  The fumes are pretty week but a little ventilation is
always good thing.  Like comercial solvents, parts cleaned in mineral
spirits are dry to the touch after cleaning.  I recommend degreasing with
lacquer thinner or other degreasing agent to remove any oil traces before
painting.  Cleaning with Kerosene or diesel leaves you with a still oily
part.