[AT] Selling things and hurricanes

Cecil Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Sun Jun 19 16:48:53 PDT 2005

> Cecil, if that were located here in California I would be jumping on

it immediately. But and this is a big but, we are a continent away

literally. The shipping would literally eat me alive on them, so I am

looking more locally. Unless someone needs to have space occupied on

their truck or trailer and wants to see Monterey Bay???? Right now I

could not even pay the shipping from LA I think, sigh.

	Yeah, well, sigh, I feel for ya, Grant. grins.  I have to
say I would never again grow a big garden with 800 to 900 feet or
so of rows of potatoes and not have a power digger. I don't mind at
all going out in the afternoon and digging a dozen nice new red
potatoes for supper but to dig row after row is something else. I
looked for years before I found what I wanted - an old antique horse
drawn potato digger and then a couple years later found these at an
auction. They sure take the work out of the digging. I think H.L.
Staples should have them too but he is over a thousand miles away
and the shipping would be more than they are worth. My wife and I
made a family game out of the potato harvest. None of the kids had
ever seen one of these machines working - digging up the plants,
shaking out the dirt and then dropping a stream of nice clean
potatoes on top of the ground. Once they saw all this, we had boxes
there and they gladly picked all of them up and put them in boxes.
We used one of the old tractors to drive up and down so they could
set the boxes on the trailer. Then when all was done, every one of
the kid's families got a box or more of potatoes to take home. For
some reason, they taste better when you have a hand in the harvest.
Anyhow, the new place will not have a large garden. We plan on
having several raised beds for some things but that is about it.

Cecil