[Farmall] Oliver Cletrac HG Question

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Fri Jun 17 04:41:02 PDT 2005

Two points:

1. While your old tractor will work fine if the battery is installed
backwards, you will have to polarize the generator to get it charging
properly. At least that has been my experience. (The voltage regulator
and starter are polarity insensitive, as are the lights. You can live
with "wrong" ammeter indication, but it is a good idea to reverse the
wires and keep everything "sane".)

2. While the tractor will run with no other changes than above, it will
not run well until you reverse the coil connections. Automotive coils
are "auto transformers" with both high and low voltage common on one
side. It is my understanding that the running them reversed will degrade
spark voltage significantly. Fortunately, it takes only a few seconds to
reverse the wiring on a coil - make sure that the wire connected to the
distributor goes to the terminal marked the same as your ground (if you
battery is negative ground, connect that wire to the terminal marked
with a "-" and the wire from the switch to the "+" terminal).

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

If you torture data sufficiently, it will confess to almost anything.
-Fred Menger, chemistry professor (1937- )