[Farmall] Bank barn experience?

soffiler at myeastern.com soffiler at myeastern.com
Tue Jun 14 04:46:32 PDT 2005

From: "Paul Sigmund" <pwsigmund at verizon.net>

> Picking up on the theme of Larry Hardesty's question's
> about his building plans for his tractors, I'd be
> interested to know anyone's experience using a bank barn
> for the same purpose.  I'm specifically interested if
> moisture from the below grade wall(s) can be a significant
> problem.

Well, Paul, my experience isn't exactly with a bank barn,
but I just sold a 100-yr old house that was built on a stone
foundation.  Some of it was pointed, some wasn't, and most
of the pointing was so old that it was crumbling and useless
(you could see horse hairs in the mortar).  Take my word for
it, you're going to have a moisture problem.

Pointing is highly tedious and not particularly effective.
You might actually consider hanging vapor barrier over the
stone and sealing it up carefully against your new poured
floor.

Steve O.