[Farmall] Bank barn experience?

Paul Sigmund pwsigmund at verizon.net
Mon Jun 13 22:06:11 PDT 2005

Picking up on the theme of Larry Hardesty's question's about his building plans for his tractors, I'd be interested to know anyone's experience using a bank barn for the same purpose.  I'm specifically interested if moisture from the below grade wall(s) can be a significant problem.

I restored the upstairs (above ground, used to hold hay) of my 100 yr old bank barn (30x40 feet), added windows,  and converted it into a workshop.  Unfortunately my Cub sits between the table saw and the planer, and the 340 is up in the garage instead of the car, and well you know . . .

The downstairs of the bank barn is empty.  Free space.  The long back wall, and about 1/3 of one side wall is below grade and is stacked rock (not cement pointed).  The floor is partially dirt and any number of "zones" apparently added over time of concrete/rocks etc.  I just finished hauling out all the broken concrete rubble I generated jackhammering up the old floor, and plan to have a 4"crushed stone/4" concrete floor poured, with a poly layer between.  I think that should seal out moisture on the floor, but I'm uncertain about those rock walls.  Pointing up the old walls would be a major job.  I'd like to hear anyone's experiences.  Thanks.