[Steam-engine] Re: Manitoba Steam Events

Best, Dianne dbest at hydro.mb.ca
Mon Jun 13 05:46:23 PDT 2005

The symposium was FANTASTIC!

Delegates began arriving at the Manitoba Agricultural Museum Friday
evening and gathered for drinks and cold cuts. Saturday the
presentations went from 8 a.m. to about 8 p.m. and were very
informative. Presentations continued on Sunday and the symposium
concluded around 4 p.m.

There were 88 people in attendance and included people from British
Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, North Dakota, South Dakota,
Minnesota, and Wisconsin. We had Chief Boiler Inspectors present from
Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and North Dakota as well as other "officials"
from various areas.

The amount of "collective knowledge" represented by those in attendance
was truly staggering and the presentations were very interesting! I have
never attended a three-day conference where people weren't doing "head
bobs" in the after-lunch sessions but NOBODY was snoozing, yakking, or
otherwise disinterested during this symposium. The organizers of this
symposium can sure be proud of their two year's work in putting this
event together.

It would be impossible to even START listing the kinds of things that
were covered during the course of the symposium.

It is everyone's hope that one of the other areas (jurisdictions) will
pick up the ball and organize another steam symposium in 2 years time.
We would like to see it become a regular event that moves around the
country, sort of like the "Case Expo". It would benefit everyone in the
steam hobby to have a major get-together every second year, especially
one that includes the regulatory agencies.

Dianne Best

Technical Chairman

Steam Association of Manitoba