[AT] OT Land prices was RE: B Allis

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Sun Jun 12 23:35:38 PDT 2005

Ron:

Gee Whiz, Sioux County is moving your way. Good way to upgrade the
neighborhood. :-) It is beyond my comprehension how DNR would allow a
confinement/dairy yard close to wet lands.  That makes no sense at all. I
suspect you have hit the nail on the head. There has to be some under the
table money involved.

There is a relatively new and huge Dairy East of Struble, IA that I
understand was established by California/Dutch dairymen. I suspect they got
run out of California by the regulations. I'm sure the new Iowa DNR
regulations have them a bit nervous. I know they have been paying premium
dollar for any land around them.  That whole dairy output is going to Wells
Ice cream too as far as I know.

Years ago when we visited Iowa, with the kids, they complained a bit about
the cattle, hog and dairy yard smells and we called that the "Essence of
Iowa" and from our historical backgrounds it wasn't all that bad. But each
year we visit, the overwhelming smell seems to be getting worse and worse.
Bigger and bigger confinement yards with more and more concentration of
animals in one place. Not good for the environment. Pretty soon, if they
haven't formed already, you will have organized groups we call NIMBY's out
here on the West Coast.  NIMBY = Not In My Back Yard.  And I don't blame
them one bit.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door