[AT] cub / prime oil pump

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Fri Jun 10 21:40:51 PDT 2005

Amen! Dean.  I remember seeing a presentation at an engineering
conference about 30 years ago concerning the problems of "thin film
lubrication" (that's what we're dealing with.)  The bottom line is that
unless you have an oil system that is capable of sustaining pressure in
the 100's of psi, the film is going to completely disappear at the
locations of extreme mechanical pressure for several degrees of rotation
of the crankshaft on every revolution.  It doesn't make any difference
what oil you're using -- it's going to happen.  What you hope for is
that during the intervening portions of the rotation enough oil gets
back into the journal to coat the surfaces once again and keep them cool
so that they don't gall.

Priming will help on startup.  But if you think your engine is running
under full load and at normal operating temperatures without regular
metal-to-metal contact on every revolution -- dream on.

Do the math on the combustion pressures compared to the oil pressure
spread over the extremely large difference in area of the line contact
on the journal and the area of the piston...

A high oil pressure means that recovery from the metal-to-metal contact
happens more quickly, but it doesn't prevent it.

Let the flames begin.

Larry