[AT] cub / prime oil pump

David Myers walking_tractor at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 10 19:21:28 PDT 2005

--- DAVIESW739 at aol.com wrote:

> Positive  displacement means that it will pump air
> as well as oil if it
> doesn't then you  need to replace or repair the
> pump, simply priming it will not
> repair it.

Walt, you are terribly mistaken.  Self-priming and
positive displacement are NOT one and the same.  I
have been bending wrenches professionally for over 30
years now and priming an engine is a GOOD thing.
Remember, until the pump does it's thing none of the
rotating parts will have oil flow.  No oil, damaged
parts, period.  Even a self-priming pump will have a
lag time.  Your choice then, a couple of minutes of
preventive effort or internal damage (maybe minor,
maybe not).
And yes, I have to admit laziness in this area also,
but with knowledge of the particular engine and also
the consequences.
If a pump won't stay primed, that is a totally
different matter.
Dave