[AT] Tractor hauling

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Fri Jun 10 14:00:04 PDT 2005

Yes, Cecil, it was interesting unloading equipment, but I don't wish I
was back at the tractor shop, especially in the current 90 degree
weather! I would much rather be sitting in my air conditioned home
"office" and do Email!

The trailers we got in that were stacked were 20 ton equipment trailers
with air brakes, weighing 8400 lbs each and stacked 4 or 5 up. They were
pretty well nested and I don't think trying to pull one off the top
would have resulted in anything but a lot of mangled steel. :-) I asked
one driver how they managed to get them put together that way at the
factory in Florida, and he said that they used a big overhead crane on
rails. Then I asked how the other dealers got them off, he laughed and
said pretty much the same way we did. Of course some dealers also handle
big construction equipment and had all kinds of cranes, but we were just
a farm equipment dealer and had nothing like that. And when I finally
got one on the ground, I had to either find a truck with air fittings or
use an air tank with a special adapter so I could release the brakes
long enough to move it back to the "display" area (using the fork lift).

Mike

Cecil Monson wrote:

>     Mike was doing some reminiscing. I think he misses working at
> the tractor dealership and wheeling and dealing in farm equipment. It
> is not easy to be retired, Mike.  I think he mentioned stacking trailers
> on a flatbed. I ordered a cable reel trailer one time and it was shipped
> in on a flatbed trailer. I was in my office when the trucker drove into
> the construction yard with all these trailers stacked on top of each
> other. I went out and asked him how he unloaded them. He showed me how
> they were loaded so he could turn a trailer and drop it on to the deck
> of the trailer. Then he grabbed the tongue and quickly pulled it off
> the deck and let it fall to the blacktop on to it's wheels. Geez, it
> bounced about 6 feet in the air and bounced again - but it was off and
> unloaded and the whole thing didn't take 5 minutes. He told me it was
> all in the loading and pre-planning and he was right.
>
> Cecil

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

Heresy is only another word for freedom of thought. -Graham Greene,
novelist and journalist (1904-1991)