[Farmall] Machine Shed and Shop

Larry L Hardesty hardestyll at unk.edu
Fri Jun 10 09:32:13 PDT 2005

Art,   Menards is an interesting idea.  I did price them just using the
computer in the local store, but I did not know about quality or
reputation.  You must have had a good experience with their mateirals,
etc.   I figure roughly the cost is 1/3 materials, 1/3 cement, and 1/3
construction costs---and I suppose each can vary a bit.

Thanks for the tips regarding heating and condensation.

Larry

Larry Hardesty
Kearney, Nebraska 68849-2240
308-865-8535
308-865-8722 fax
hardestyll at unk.edu

Arthur Umland <artsd at aol.com>
Sent by: farmall-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com
06/10/2005 10:46 AM
Please respond to
Farmall/IHC mailing list <farmall at lists.antique-tractor.com>

cc

Subject
Re: [Farmall] Machine Shed and Shop

Hi Larry,
    Just a couple of thoughts based on experience. Due to budget
constraints I have a gravel floor in my 36X48 shed and find that this
provides quite a bit of dust to drift around and settle on things. I
considered a washed rock river rock, but was told that even though that
would reduce the dust, a concrete contractor (still hope for a concrete
floor some day) would not like the rounded rock as a base for concrete.

    Cleary buildings are probably as good a system as Morton (better
according to them!), but here in southeast SD there was not a great
deal of difference in price between the two. Perhaps you can get a
better deal with a local manufacturer then I found available here. My
final choice based largely on price was to hire two local people (one
used to work for Morton) to erect a Menards pole building package. I
was fortunate to have good people I knew do the work and I can assure
you I probably have one of the most squarely constructed pole buildings
available!

    If money permitted, I would consider a heating system built into the
concrete floor. Several options and varying costs are associated with
that option. The advantages include heating that provides a warm floor
and radiant heat. This would prevent any condensation that may want to
form in the spring when the air starts to warm and holds more moisture,
but a relatively cold concrete floor causes moisture to condense on it.
Also, you will probably be using a heat source that does not generate
moisture in the building.

    Speaking of moisture, make sure at a minimum to install insulation
under the roof when it is installed. The last thing you want is water
condensing and dripping down on your equipment! I chose to insulate the
side walls on my own as I could do that myself and purchase the
insulation as I went along and not borrow any money.

      Regards,
                           Art